How To Evict a Tenant Quickly – A Detailed Guide

We have all heard those not so nice tenant experiences from other people and hope that it will never happen to us. But more often than not, even after doing everything you can to screen and choose your tenants wisely, situations may arise where a tenant is not cooperating, not paying their rent, or is otherwise disobeying and disrespecting the rules of your legally binding tenancy agreement. If you are facing tenant problems, read the detailed guide below for help and information regarding How To Evict a Tenant Quickly.

If the tenant keeps disrespecting what you agreed to in your tenancy agreement and will not co-operate to end the tenancy mutually on peaceful terms, unfortunately, the next step is sending your tenant an eviction notice. In these types of situations, a tenant still may not move out after they receive an eviction notice, they may apply for a dispute resolution hearing at the Tenancy Branch.

When you know or not quite certain if your tenant’s actions are in breach of your tenancy agreement, contact GVC Property Solutions Inc. (GVCPS), a real estate investment Company for further advice. GVCPS offers free consultation to your tenancy problems and has 25 years of experience in the eviction service industry.

During this time, it is important that you read your tenancy agreement and identify any specific breach on the tenant’s part and communicate this clearly with your tenant to demand that they either immediately rectify their breach of agreement and send your tenant and eviction notice.

If the tenant still continues to breach your tenancy agreement or the Residential Tenancy Act then speak to a tenancy law specialist at GVCPS for suggestions and advice how to evict a tenant quickly. GVCPS will explain the eviction process to you and how you can evict a tenant quickly and legally.

Evicting a Tenant

You can take action to evict a Tenant if the Tenant has failed to pay the rent, has caused unreasonable damage, or has bothered you or another Tenant. You may also evict a Tenant if you or an immediate family member (parent, son or daughter of you or your spouse only) wants to move in, or if you sell the rental unit and the new owner or the owner’s immediate family wants to move in.

If you have the necessary building permits, you can end a tenancy to carry out major renovations or demolish the unit. The Residential Tenancy Branch takes eviction disputes very seriously and so you must make sure you have legal reason to end the tenancy. Tenants do have the right to dispute a Notice to End Tenancy by applying for dispute resolution if they suspect the notice is not permitted by the Residential Tenancy Act.

Dispute Resolution

Dispute resolution is the formal process for resolving disputes between landlords and tenants – it’s similar to a court proceeding.

In the Notice to End Tenancy, the landlord must inform the tenant the date the landlord wants you to move out by. The landlord must give the tenant the notice a certain number of days before that date. How many days before depends on which reason for eviction your landlord is using.

Some types of notice must tell the tenant that the landlord can cancel the notice if the tenant stops or corrects whatever the landlord says you are doing wrong.

Both the small claims court and tribunal system have streamlined rules designed to allow litigants to represent themselves without the need for a lawyer. Consequently, there are companies like GVCPS that specialize in residential landlord-tenant law and help the landlord and tenant come to a conclusion. Contact GVCPS & days per week including evenings until 9pm 604-812-3718 or

How to Evict a Tenant Quickly:

Landlords must give proper notice to tenants if they plan to end a tenancy – there are different notice forms required for different situations. By law, tenants must always be given the right amount of notice – even if your goal is to evict the tenant for good.

The Proper Forms Used To Give Tenants the Right Amount of Notice

Form 1: Serving a Notice to End Tenancy – 10 Day Notice for Unpaid Rent or Utilities

A 10 Day Notice to End Tenancy for Unpaid Rent or Utilities can be served to tenants who do not pay the full rent or utilities when they are due. Utilities can only be included on this notice if the tenancy agreement requires the tenant to pay these charges to the landlord. The tenant must pay the landlord all the rent for the full month, even if the 10 Day Notice to End Tenancy ends the tenancy before the end of month. If the tenant pays all the rent and utilities owing within five days of receiving the notice, the notice is cancelled and the tenancy continues.

Form 2: One Month Notice to End Tenancy – For Cause

 A landlord can serve a tenant with a One Month Notice to End Tenancy when:

  • The Tenant hasn’t paid the security deposit or pet damage deposit within 30 days of entering into a tenancy agreement.
  • Is repeatedly late paying rent (at least three times)
  • Has broken a material term and, after receiving notice of the breach, has not complied with the tenancy agreement
  • Knowingly gave false information about the rental unit or building to someone interested in renting a unit or buying the unit or building
  • Assigned or sublet the rental unit without the landlord’s consent
  • Was provided with a rental unit as a condition of their employment and the employment has ended
  • Hasn’t complied within 30 days of receiving an order from the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB), or the date specified in the order, if greater than 30 days later
  • Has an unreasonable number of occupants living in the unit

A landlord can serve a tenant with a One Month Notice to End Tenancy when the Tenant or their Guests have:

  • Caused extraordinary damage or put the landlord’s property at significant risk
  • Damaged property beyond reasonable wear and tear and haven’t made repairs within a reasonable period
  • Seriously risked the health, safety or rights of the landlord or another occupant
  • Significantly interfered with or unreasonably disturbed the landlord or other occupants
  • Engaged in illegal activity that has adversely affected the quiet enjoyment, security, safety or physical well-being of the landlord or other occupants
  • Engaged in illegal activity that has caused or is likely to cause damage to the rental property, or engaged in illegal activity that has risked a lawful right or interest of the landlord or other occupant

When a Tenant Doesn’t Leave After Being Served With An Eviction Notice

If a tenancy is not reinstated and the tenant does not leave by the end date on the notice served by the landlord, or it seems like the tenant won’t leave, the landlord can apply for dispute resolution requesting an Order of Possession – a legal document that orders the tenant to leave.

Serving and Enforcing an Order of Possession

An “Order” issued by an arbitrator at the Tenancy branch are official documents that are enforceable through the courts. This means a B.C. court can force a party to follow what is instructed on the order. The Residential Tenancy Branch does not enforce orders.

If a tenant disputes a Notice to End Tenancy, the Tenancy Branch must grant an Order of Possession to the landlord if the landlord’s notice to end tenancy is in the proper form and the tenant’s application is dismissed or the landlord’s notice is upheld.

If the tenant still doesn’t leave after being served with an Order of Possession, the landlord must obtain a Writ of Possession from the Supreme Court of B.C. in order to hire a bailiff to remove a tenant or their belongings and, if desired, change the locks.

A landlord cannot physically remove a tenant, remove a tenant’s possessions or prevent a tenant from accessing a rental property without a Writ of Possession from the Supreme Court.

Form 3: Two Month Notice to End Tenancy – For Landlord’s Use of the Property

A landlord can serve a tenant with a Two Month Notice to End Tenancy for the Landlord’s use of the property:

 Landlord’s use of property applies when the landlord:

  1. When the landlord moves in or has a close family member live in the rental unit Sells the property and the new owner, or a close family member of the new owner, plans to live in the rental unit if a rental property is sold, there are two ways a tenancy can be ended if, in good faith, the buyer plans to occupy the unit or use the property for another purpose:The buyer makes a written request to the seller to end the tenancy before they take possession of the property (this cannot be a condition of sale) – the existing landlord then must give their tenant a Two Month Notice to End Tenancy for Landlord’s Use of Property.Once the buyer takes possession of the property, they can serve a Two Month Notice to End Tenancy for Landlord’s Use of Property. Unless a landlord (seller or buyer) serves a proper notice to end tenancy, the tenancy continues under the terms of the original tenancy agreement.Close family member: This means the father, mother or child of the landlord or the landlord’s spouse – it doesn’t include the brother or sister of the landlord or the brother or sister of the landlord’s spouse. If a family corporation owns the rental unit, then a close family member would also include an individual who owns, or whose close family member owns, all the voting shares.
  1. Major Construction

When possible, renovations should be done without evicting the tenant. For example, if the renovations require the unit to be vacant for a short period, the tenant could be relocated and later return to the unit at the same rent.

Major construction means:

  • Demolishing the rental unit or doing major renovations that require the building or rental unit to be empty for the work to be done.
  • Converting the rental unit to a strata property unit, a not-for-profit housing co-operative or a caretaker’s unit.
  • Converting the rental unit for non-residential use, such as a shop. People can occupy the unit, but it must no longer be a rental unit.
  • The landlord must have all required government permits and approvals in place before issuing the notice for any of the above reasons.
  1. Tenant No Longer Qualifies for Subsidized Rental Unit

A public housing body acting as a landlord may serve a Two Month Notice to End Tenancy if the tenant no longer qualifies for a subsidized rental unit. The tenancy agreement must clearly say that the tenancy will end if the tenant no longer qualifies for the subsidy.

A landlord who provides rental housing where rent is geared to income may be considered a public housing body if they are a government agency or have an agreement with a government agency to provide rental housing.

Check out the list of public housing bodies

Doing it Right

A landlord must serve the Two Month Notice to End Tenancy so that it’s received:

At least two months before the effective date of the notice, and Before the day that rent is due. For example, a notice given on March 15 would take effect on the last day of May.

To avoid disputes, both the landlord and tenant should be clear about when the tenant’s notice is effective – that is, which date they will move out and whether more rent will be paid.

By law, tenants must always be given the right amount of notice – even if the landlord uses an incorrect date. This correction can be made without having to go through the dispute resolution process. If you’re unsure about the effective date of a notice to end tenancy, please contact the Residential Tenancy Branch.

All Notices to End Tenancy have two pages – it’s only valid if the landlord serves both pages to the tenant. There are rules about how and when a landlord can serve notice – be sure to do it correctly:

Lookup the rules for serving notices

Good Faith Requirement

A landlord must act in good faith if they plan to end a tenancy to:

  • Move into the unit, or have a close family member live in it
  • Sell the property and the new owner, or a close family member of the new owner, plans to live in the rental unit
  • Have major construction completed in or near the unit
  • That means the landlord has honest intentions and no ulterior motive to take advantage of a situation. The landlord must honestly intend to use the rental site for the purposes stated on the notice to end the tenancy

Contact us to discuss what solutions we can provide to help you evict a tenant quickly.  We provide free consultation to discuss the different options that are available to you. We are available 7 days per week including evenings until 7:00 pm. Call 604-812-3718 or email:

We Are Residential Property Buyers And Property Management

Our Company, GVC Property Solutions Inc. (GVCPS) is a well-established Real Estate Investment Company that specializes in residential property management. Our Company also specializes in creative and innovative techniques to purchase property from people who need relief from their mortgage or real estate situation for any reason but cannot sell through traditional means. We not only remove all of your stress associated with being a landlord, we take residential property management to a new level in Vancouver, BC, the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley and Squamish, BC. With 25 years of experience and an excellent track record, our clients receive peace of mind and exceptional service when our Company handles their Residential Property Management.

We Are Residential Property Buyers and a Property Management Company

We offer a wide range of residential solutions for a wide range of clients, we are also property buyers and have helped many clients facilitate a non-stressful real estate transaction through our Lease Purchase Program.

A good property management company should minimize your expenses while maximizing your profit.

We understand that everyone’s needs are not the same; our tailored services care, and thorough knowledge is designed to improve your property’s cash flow and overall investment.

We Take Residential Property Management to a Whole New Level

Through our Lease Purchase Program, our Company becomes your main tenant that has the option to purchase the rental property from you on a set date in the future that we agree upon. During the time that our Company is leasing the property for you, we guarantee your monthly rental payment, even if the property is vacant. Our Company is also responsible for the cost and performance of all repairs and maintenance to the property. When we buy property through our Lease Purchase Program. we do not charge any real estate fees or commissions, saving you thousands of dollars.

Through our Lease Purchase Program, in most cases, we take over your entire mortgage payment as well as all of your other monthly financial obligations regarding the property on your behalf that may include; property taxes, property insurance, monthly strata fees as well as any repair and maintenance costs.

We organize and execute day-to-day responsibilities at premier standards. We are a well-equipped organization that can deal with your unique situation and needs in any real estate market. Our Company and our Lease Purchase Program provides property owners with a one stop, full service service center for all their property requirements including “Complete Management Service” and “Complete Property Buying Service”, personal and professional assistance and a innovative property management solution.

  • Onsite Management – Our property management is a service you can depend on. We strive to meet the needs of property owners to the level he or she requests.  Our goal is to offer the best service through a custom, proactive and dynamic approach to residential property management and buying property.
  • Offsite Management – We utilize all market and sales trends to maximize opportunities at no additional cost to the property owner.
  • Maintenance / Repairs – GVCPS has an administrative team whose primary responsibility is coordinating the required repairs and maintenance to your property. We use a web based repair & maintenance system which allows us to efficiently prioritize, assign, and manage all requests that are received. Through our Lease Purchase Program, we are also responsible for all costs for repairs and maintenance to the property.
  • Payment Collection – Our web based technology allows us to collect rent payments from sub-tenants electronically and distribute payments electronically to owners at no additional charge to either party.
  • Management Fee – GVCPS uses a flat rate management fee to keep your rental property profitable. Our rental management fee allows us to properly staff our Company to provide superior customer service.
  • Bill Payment – Our Company is responsible for paying all utilities for the property as well as any other agreed upon expenses for the property that is determined with each client on a case by case basis.
  • We Buy Property – We buy any property type through our Lease Purchase Program. We buy houses, duplexes, town homes, condos and residential development projects that are any price, in any condition and in any location in in Vancouver BC, Squamish BC, Surrey BC, Delta BC, North Vancouver BC, Abbotsford BC, Tri Cities Area of BC, Langley BC, Maple Ridge BC, New Westminster BC, Pitt Meadows BC, Burnaby BC, Richmond BC, West Vancouver BC, White Rock BC and Chilliwack BC.

GVCPS – Residential Property Buyers & Residential Property Management Consultants

If you’re looking for a Company to manage your real estate investment at a whole new level, you’ve come to the right place. You earn maximum investment revenue and return on your investment through our Lease Purchase Program. Over the years, we have Lease Purchased hundreds of properties and our track record speaks for itself.

We Buy Property

Wow, imagine how nice it will be for you to find Property Buyers like GVC Property Solutions Inc. (GVCPS), our Real Estate Investment Company to buy your house quickly where the only thing that you have to do to is sign the paperwork?

We are Private Property Buyers – No Commissions. No Fees – No Realtor Showings – Sell your property to us “As-Is”. We are private property buyers and experienced investors, we are not real estate agents. We offer a wide range of solutions to any property situation in any market.

GVCPS Property Buyers can provide a solution through our Lease Purchase Program no matter what your property or mortgage situation is. If you are facing one or more of the following difficulties, our Lease Purchase Program may your solution:

  • You are tired of being a landlord and dealing with landlord tenant disputes, tenancy issues and tenant problems
  • You are an out of town owner and you don’t want to be a long distance landlord
  • You have a property that is too stressful to manage
  • Your property is in need of extensive repair that you do not have time or money for
  • You have a house that is too costly to maintain
  • You are having difficulty making your mortgage payments each month
  • You are making payments on two or more properties
  • Financial stress that requires an immediate sale of your property
  • You need relief from your mortgage or property situation for any reason
  • You have minimal equity but need to sell now
  • Your mortgage is higher than the property value
  • You need an immediate and flexible solution due to a job transfer or for any other reason
  • Your property has been listed with a Realtor for many months and hasn’t sold
  • You are facing PRE foreclosure
  • You want to avoid bankruptcy or a consumer proposal
  • You are divorcing and need to sell
  • Your listing has expired with your Realtor
  • You have a costly mortgage penalty but need to sell now
  • Your house is too big or too small and you need a convenient and flexible solution
  • Your strata property has Rental Restrictions and you are experiencing difficulty selling due to strict Strata Bylaws
  • You prefer not to sell through a Realtor and be inconvenienced with Realtor showings
  • You are anxious to move to another property and do not want to list your property on MLS
  • You own your property free and clear and would like to acquire some of your equity now and the remainder of your equity at closing

Contact us to discuss what solutions we can provide to your real estate situation. We provide Free Consultation to discuss the different options that are available to you. We are available 7 days per week including evenings until 7:00 pm. Contact our Office: 604-812-3718 Email: You can also contact us 24 hours a day through our Confidential Form or visit our Website for more information: